If facing the paper, your thought is 'I am an artist', you have no clue what to do. If the concepts of your function are, 'I am a shape maker, an entertainer, an expressive symbol collector'...then you have an explicit road map. Edgar Whitney

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Appeared in The Press June, 2009:

Not Tonight


I’m a water bird trapped in the bellows
of a piano accordion.

In my walnut brain
a migraine of box headed musicians thumps.

Love song, thud song, an incessant canto of
dribbling basketballs.

It’s a peaceful lie
that God can distribute love on my behalf,

wrap it in a clean tea towel, crush it with
a rolling pin,

then scatter crumbs
in a trail that doesn’t lead to me.

1 comment:

  1. A peaceful lie. I'm wondering what that might sound like. A fine example of open poetry.

    ReplyDelete